Friday, March 22, 2019

Tzav: What is the Ceremonial Installation for a Gadfly?

I had an epiphany this week. I know that sounds a bit dramatic, and perhaps I'm overstating it just a little, but that's what I'm going with for now. I remember once,
when I was in my late-teens and already contemplating becoming a rabbi, I heard someone describe the mixing of religion and politics as "the kiss of death." It wasn't explained to me in more detail, but it left a deep impression. I decided at that moment that people (well, this person anyway...) shouldn't be involved in both; they pick either religion or politics and stay away from the other like the plague!! I have continued to subscribe to this idea, in some form, to this day. When asked about my political opinions, I shrug my shoulders and say that I'm a religious professional, and thus - at least in any official way or public forum - I stay entirely out of the political arena. And then, this week, I had an epiphany.

Let me start in the Torah portion. I promise this wasn't clickbait; I WILL tell you about my realization when you get to paragraph four! As we ease our way into the Third Book of the Torah, Leviticus, we now witness the full ritual ordination ceremony for Aaron, the High Priest, and his sons. Moses goes about sacrificing
animals, dressing these new priests in formal clothing, sprinkling them with blood (as you do...), and performing various other drawn-out, intricate, detail-oriented procedures. One thing that fascinated me about this entire process is that it's being overseen and emceed by Moses. Moses is decidedly NOT a priest. He represents a separate branch of "government" as it were; the institution of prophecy. In Ancient Israel, the community would eventually come to be led by three distinct offices - the king, the High Priest, and the prophet. Two would often work in close partnership with one another, namely the king and his appointed High Priest. The prophet, however, almost always served as a political gadfly; challenging, criticizing, and holding the other two leaders accountable on behalf of both the people AND God.

It is interesting, therefore, that Moses would oversee the rituals installing the priests, considering that he is, in a sense, the opposition! In fact, throughout the series of complicated ceremonies, Aaron and the other priests never speak at all.
They follow Moses' instructions precisely. They are the object of all these mysterious rites, while the person investing them with authority and sacred purpose is specifically a DIFFERENT type of leader; a public figure who aims to keep these priests honest. You might say that the one who anoints them as keepers of the fire, is also the one holding their feet to it! And getting back to my original point, this contradicts how I see religion and politics co-existing. Before looking at this example more carefully, I might have said they oversaw different parts of society. Separate-but-equal. Non-overlapping. Two chemicals that were each powerful... but should never be combined for fear of combustion! But what if religious leaders today have been abdicating a critical role in our social systems?

Enter my epiphany: It is still true that fusing politics and religion COULD BE the Kiss of Death. Though now I think the heart of the danger is when the same person tries to inhabit both roles. Or when religious leaders try to lend some "Divine
authority" to a political leader, in an attempt to elevate them above scrutiny or criticism. Instead, religious leaders might consider claiming the title (and megaphone) of the gadfly. Let's face it; it's not like politicians (or religious leaders, for that matter...) have done a great job holding themselves accountable!! I'm not sure what this change could or would look like, to be honest, because it still feels like an *enormous* taboo to step across that line. But someone needs to assume the gadfly-mantle, no? Aaron couldn't ordain himself, just as Moses couldn't declare himself a prophet! Like I said, it was "just" an epiphany. It didn't come with a fully-formed plan or a social manifesto. So let's begin mulling this over together, shall we? Do you agree? Do you HATE this idea??? Let's talk. And if it resonates, maybe we'll work on the installation ceremony details a little later. :-)


CC images in this blog post courtesy of:
1. Aris Gionis on Flickr
2. mifuno on Deviant Art
3. Hans on Pixabay
4. Banalities on Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews