Monday, July 30, 2018

Summer (Newsletter) Message – Happy Ten(or tin?)-a-versary!

I'm continuing to post my Ohev Shalom newsletter (entitled L'Chaim) articles here on the blog. These are in addition to the weekly Torah (or Haftarah) posts. Thanks for reading!


I don’t know if this is more surprising to you or to me, but right now I’m starting my TENTH year as the rabbi of Ohev Shalom! Hard to believe, isn’t it? Sooo, whadya get me??? Our tenth-anniversary symbol is tin or aluminum, so I’m thinking maybe a picture frame or some funky jewelry? Regardless, the point is: We’ve been doing this together for a long time. We’ve got roots, a special bond, and you’ve given me license to try some pretty gutsy things from the bimah: I faked a panic attack, I had David Pollack pretend to be the Voice of God, and I invited non-traditional speakers to challenge us all from the pulpit. Not to mention my shenanigans OFF the pulpit, like dressing in drag, getting whipped cream thrown in my face, and more! Needless to say, it’s been a great (first) ten years.

But it can also be a challenge. At what point will you start tuning me out? When do I become the grownup in a Charlie Brown cartoon, blathering on like a trombone (or shofar?) without making any sense? I’ve started saying to people who ask, I am not prepared for this! In rabbinical school, they gave tips and advice on being a rabbi in year one, some thoughts for year three, and an idea or two for year five. But TEN?!? And beyond? It’s anyone’s guess really. So, what do you want that script to look like?

As your friendly neighborhood shofar (and one you’ve heard blow a lot of hot air for years…), I’m working on some new “material” for the High Holidays that will hopefully wake you up. Rosh Hashanah is a time for new beginnings; maybe ESPECIALLY when you’ve gotten into a routine and have become (perhaps) a bit lethargic. When relationships are genuinely new, it’s easy to talk about fresh starts and clean slates. It’s a little harder when you’re ready to exchange aluminum clocks and tin pendants. But don’t you worry, I’ve got a few tricks up my sleeve, and hopefully you’ve got some new ideas to contribute as well. I’m excited for yet another year together, and more time to bond, deepen our shared roots, and challenge one another. It is, however, a two-way street. I’ll work on turning my trombone into a shofar, and you get ready to listen and respond. Deal?

Then let’s get started!

Shanah Tovah,

Rabbi Gerber

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews