Friday, June 12, 2015

Shelach Lecha: A Spy's Report About Jewish Life in Europe

I feel like I have a lot in common with the two protagonists in this week's Torah portion. I didn't expect to feel this way (and I actually hope I don't have TOO much in common with them, as you'll hear in a
minute...), but what can you do? In our parashah, Shelach Lecha, we read about the twelve spies that Moses sent into the land of Canaan to determine whether the Israelites could conquer it or not. Two of the spies, Joshua and Caleb, came back with a favorable report, while the other ten said that all hope was lost. The enemies were too strong, the land too harsh, and the odds of success were zero. Naturally, the Israelites believed the majority of the cohort, and threatened to kill the other two for their dissent. Today, I come to you with a surprisingly optimistic account from a faraway land, and I hope you'll receive it a little bit better than did our ancient ancestors...

Last week, I traveled to Europe with a group of rabbis, community leaders, and congregants, as part of a mission through the Masorti (Conservative) movement. We visited Jewish communities in Budapest, Hungary; Paris, France; and London, England. As you know,
Anti-Semitism is rampant in Europe. Muslim extremism has destroyed the continent, the Jews are all making aliyah to Israel, and all hope is lost. Well, that's at least what I've come to believe that you THINK you know about European Jewry. On a nearly daily basis, I get e-mails from congregants with articles about the terrors facing European Jews across the continent, and especially in my home community of Stockholm, Sweden. And if you read nearly any Jewish newspaper in this country, that is indeed what you've likely come to believe. But like Joshua and Caleb, the spies sent by Moses, I implore you not to believe the stereotypes, sensationalist headlines, and common assumptions that plague our community. It simply isn't true.

Look, I'm not going to pretend it's all sunshine and roses. Even Caleb and Joshua had to admit there were challenges. In Paris, we saw armed guards outside synagogues, and in Budapest and Paris we were encouraged not to wear our kippot in public. Is there Anti-Semitism?
Yes. Are community leaders worried about right-wing governments and religious fundamentalists? Certainly; it can't be denied. But it's NOT the entire picture. In London, we met with representatives from NEW congregations, recently established across the continent. When was the last time you met someone in America who started a brand new synagogue or congregation? Did you read the most recent Pew Research study? Jews in America are DIS-affiliating, and congregations are closing their doors. And in Europe? The Masorti movement has new communities in Valencia, Spain; Alicante, Spain; Brussels, Belgium; Nice, France (yes, even in France); Almere (near Amsterdam), Holland (and a second one is opening soon); Lisbon, Portugal; and many more! Two new rabbis just graduated American rabbinical schools and are moving back to England to serve emerging communities, and a good friend of mine was just installed as the Chief Rabbi in Stockholm. Even more remarkable than all this: Our movement just opened a NEW rabbinical school in Berlin, Germany!!

I am sure that, in response to this post, you will be tempted to send me articles disagreeing with my assessment. You might even be drafting an
e-mail to me with ten or MORE articles showing how horrible life in Europe is for the Jews. And hey, they were written by locals, so they must be true, right? And they must encapsulate the ENTIRE experience for European Jews, no?? Ten out of twelve spies may return with only messages of doom and gloom. And I can't say any of them are lying or have ulterior motives. All I can tell you is what I saw with my own eyes, and share with you the words of the people I spoke to in person. Jewish communities in Europe are growing... A LOT! I know you don't believe me. I know it sounds impossible. Just don't pelt me with rocks if you disagree. Instead, maybe take a trip and see for yourself. I guarantee it, you'll be thoroughly amazed.

Photos in this blogpost from my Masorti Mission to Europe:
1. The Dohany Street Synagogue in Budapest - the second largest synagogue in the world!
2. Candles and memorial tributes outside Hyper Cacher, the Kosher supermarket in Paris that was attacked in January.
3. Inside the Rashi Synagogue in Troyes, France.
4. Praying with other rabbis and good friends, in London at the end of our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews