Monday, March 5, 2012

A Purim Sermon on Evil Foods...

Last Saturday, I delivered a special Purim-related sermon during Saturday morning services. A few congregants asked if I would put the sermon online, so I decided to post it here on the blog. A short disclaimer: If you have a weak heart, or are sensitive to strong words, be warned! There's some pretty powerful stuff in here, and I don't want you to fall off your chair. This is a topic that affects me quite deeply, a terror that I believe is destroying the Jewish community, one unsuspecting holiday celebrant at a time. If we truly want to embody the phrase, "you are what you eat," it's time we wake up and smell the Kosher-for-Passover-fair trade-organic-non-terror-supporting coffee. You've been warned. Here goes:


Saturday Morning D’var Torah – Parashat Tetzaveh (Shabbat Zachor) 5772

Last year, right before Purim, I felt it was my duty to warn you about something horrific happening in our community. Unfortunately, no changes have happened since last year, so I feel a need to repeat myself, which I hate doing. A need to repeat myself, which I hate doing…

As you know, recently I’ve started promoting better eating habits, better choices of quality food, and a healthier approach to consumption in general, here at Ohev Shalom. Well, this issue which I would like to present to you this morning flies DIRECTLY in the face of this new campaign of ours. Last year, I spoke to you about the dangers of one particular food: Poppy-seed Hamentaschen, better known as Muhn. Even the name is gross… Yuck!

I don’t want to go into too much detail, but basically, before last Purim I told everyone to STOP eating Muhn Hamentaschen. In short, they’re the worst. Why?
o   First, they get stuck in your teeth, which looks disgusting.
o   Second, they grow poppies in Afghanistan to make a drug called ‘opium,’ so when you eat Muhn Hamentaschen, you’re basically supporting terrorism. I hope you're happy...
o   Third, if you eat too many and then go driving and get stopped by the police, you could test positive for drug use, again, because of the poppies!!
o   And fourth, did you ever see the movie, “Wizard of Oz”? Well the Wicked Witch used poppies in the field to put Dorothy and her friends to sleep, because poppy is also an ancient sedative, so by eating Muhn Hamentaschen, you’re basically saying that you’re friends with the Wicked Witch. Shame on all of you!!

Now I don’t want to go on too long about Muhn, because instead I would like to move on to another scourge in our community, another evil food ruining everything that is good and pleasant and holy. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the second installment in my annual Pre-Purim sermon series, which I am calling “Munch n’ Burn!: Foods that Corrupt and Destroy.” You 'munch,' and I BURN with disappointment...

MACAROONS! The silent, but deadly, killer. ‘What’s wrong with my macaroons,’ you say? ‘How could anything so small and tasty be terrible?’ Well, first of all, they’re not tasty. You are mistaken, if you think so! Also, did you know they were made with coconut??? NO ONE likes coconut! I know, I’ve asked around. I asked myself, I can’t stand coconut… and who else really matters?

For those of you who are already on board, I applaud you. Good job. Stay away from wicked-coconut and nefarious-macaroons, and tell your friends. But if you’re one of those weirdos who still thinks coconut tastes good, and macaroons ain’t that bad, everyone’s doin’ ‘em, what’s the harm? Well, listen up!

Evil #1 – History. According to many historians, an Italian baker invented the cookies in medieval times. The name comes from a Neapolitan word, maccarone, which means “fine paste.” (By the way, macaroons don’t exactly look like a ‘fine paste’ to me, so they're ALREADY deceptive with that fake name. Unbelievable…) During the Renaissance, the recipe found its way to France (by way of Catherine DeMedici’s chef), where the cookies became immensely popular.

So the macaroon comes from Medieval Italy and France, BOTH places that were terribly anti-Semitic in medieval times. When you eat macaroons, you are supporting people who hated Jews several hundred years ago. Nice, really nice…

Evil #2 – Coconut oil. It is filled with saturated fat, which is bad. The Food and Drug Administration warns AGAINST use of coconut oil in cooking. Now some crazy people say, ‘no, no, not all fat is bad. Some tropical cultures have used coconut oil for centuries, and they do ok.’ Well, it just so happens that most coconut oil in stores is hydrogenated, which means trans fat, which everyone agrees IS bad! Take that!! (Yeah, that’s right, I did my homework…)

Evil #3 – Some strange people like to eat macaroons on Passover, because a lot of ‘traditional’ desserts are off limits. Well, coconut flakes look an awful lot like rice to me, if you think about. …And maybe if you squint. And rice, according to Ashkenazi tradition, is NOT permitted on Passover. So somehow we’ve allowed coconut to sneak its way into our Pesach food, even though it looks suspiciously like another food that some people irrationally forbid on the holiday. Very sneaky, those macaroons. Not to mention the fact that they come in like a thousand different flavors -  Vanilla, Chocolate, Rocky Road, Almond, Cookies and Cream, Wasabi (probably, I don’t care) – which means that they ‘pretend’ to be something else. You think you’re eating something WITHOUT coconut, because it says ‘Rocky Road,’ and then you have a very unpleasant realization when you bite into it. So I’m told, I'm not speaking from personal experience…

Evil #4 – How do you open them? It’s impossible! You could try a hammer, a chisel, a hacksaw, a power drill, a machete, NOTHING works! And the whole time, that coconut is just laughing at you, mocking you for not being able to figure it out. That’s sick…

Evil #5 – Coconut milk! Well, actually I can’t say anything bad about coconut milk, I actually kind of like the stuff. It’s a good alternative to dairy milk, and it’s particularly good in Thai food, especially Thai curries. But sometimes the food is TOO spicy. Even when you ask them to make it milder, it STILL comes out too spicy, and I blame the coconut milk! So THAT’S Evil #5; poor temperature control and bad customer service!

Evil #6 – Even the Marx brothers movie, “The Cocoanuts” from 1929 isn’t one of their best. At all. It was their first, sure, but so what? One reviewer on IMDB said,” The story is flimsy and the supporting cast is awful.” That’s tragic! They made so many fabulous films, but the one named after this awful nut/fruit had a review that included the word ‘awful.’ The coconut just ruins everything…

I hope that you have now begun to realize the sinister type of mind we are dealing with here. You think you’re just chowing down on an innocent cookie, when really it is A) Filled with coconut… yuck, B) ‘pretending’ to be Kosher for Passover, when who really knows? C) silently, but deliberately filling you with trans fats, in gross violation of the advice of the FDA, and D) making you think ‘oh, I could make one of these, it’s easy,’ when really it’s much tougher than it looks, the recipe is confusing, the flavors never come out right, and you always burn the whole batch… or so I’m told. Again, I’m not speaking from personal experience or anything…

We NEED to be much more vigilant about the foods we eat. This weekend is Shabbat Zachor, and we already talked about how the Maftir and the Haftarah remind us to wipe out Amalek, the ancestor of Haman. Well, the Hebrew word for coconut is ‘kokos.’ And the numerical value of ‘kokos’ is exactly the same numerical value as ‘Amalek.’ EXACTLY THE SAME!! (Well, actually they’re off by 32, one was 272 and the other 240, but it was actually A LOT closer than I expected when I first planned to make that joke…) But the point is, coconut is the new Amalek, and we need to wipe it out, just get rid of it altogether. Like Muhn Hamentaschen, coconut is the worst.

So take care, everyone. There are dangers all around us. This Purim, STAY AWAY from the Muhn Hamentaschen, and later, during Pesach, avoid, AT ALL COSTS, any and all macaroons that try to approach you or sneak up on you. Because it WILL happen… And remember, the purpose of this Munch n’ Burn sermon series is to protect you and to protect our community. It is definitely NOT meant as Purim Torah, as fake, humorous sermons right before the holiday of Purim. Not that at all. Just making sure we were clear on that, so there are no misunderstandings.

Shabbat Shalom, and Chag Purim Sameach!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews