Thursday, February 9, 2012

Yitro: What are You Eating, and What's Eating You?

Last weekend, Ohev Shalom hosted Dr. Jordan Rosenblum as our annual Scholar in Residence. In short, he spoke about Jews and Food, covering subjects like the history of separating milk products from meat products, the taboo against eating pork, and the relationship between Jews and non-Jews surrounding food. I haven't had a chance
to poll too many people yet, but my sense is that Jordan rustled a few feathers, and surprised some people with his straight-forward presentation of the sources. I think some people were left with one, major glaring question; "So why should I (still) keep Kosher?" That is indeed an excellent question. Frankly, I'm glad people were thrown a little, because I think this opens up an opportunity for us to have a serious, frank, and emotional conversation about how and what we eat. 

This Shabbat, I would like to talk with you about eating. If you're around, please consider joining us for services on Saturday morning, where we will have an open (and potentially heated...) discussion, which I am calling, "What are you eating, and what's eating you?" I will, however, save you some
of the suspense by telling you right now, I'm not going to try to convince anyone to keep Kosher. I really don't think that's my job. Some people might disagree with me, and if you're one of them, I apologize. I'm just not going to do it. I want you to love being Jewish. If you want that to include Kashrut, GREAT! I will give you some sources, I'll offer helpful tips, I'll even be your personal cheerleader! But if you aren't interested, neither am I. Am I really here to make people feel guilty about what they do? I don't think so. But if that's true, then what's the point, right? What the heck are we all doing here, and why is the Ohev Shalom kitchen still strictly Kosher?!?

Jordan spoke a lot about having 'a food ethic' last weekend, and I think this might help guide our conversation moving forward. For me personally, and for us as a synagogue, our food ethic is rooted in Kashrut. Rabbi Brad Artson, in his book, "It's a Mitzvah!", writes that "Kashrut harnesses the act of eating to our identity, our community, and our morality. For thousands of years, the dietary laws have
created a potent bond, solidifying Jewish identity, forging a link with Jews throughout time and across a globe, and strengthening family and friends into communities devoted to a more humane order on Earth." What does your eating say about you? You don't have to keep Kosher to make a statement, but I think it's imperative that you DO think about how and what you eat. And remember, some people keep Kosher and still ignore the essential values of ethics, cleanliness, and sustainability, so just keeping Kosher, doesn't mean you're off the hook! What is your personal food ethic?

In this week's Torah reading (I bet you were wondering if I was ever going to get there...), Moses receives the Ten Commandments. By the way, none of the Top Ten speak about keeping Kosher... Just after God finishes presenting the first ten mitzvot to the Israelites, and is getting ready to continue speaking, the people ask Moses to be their intermediary. "You speak to us...
and we will obey; but let not God speak to us, lest we die" (Exodus, 20:16). Hearing the voice of God directly is too much for the people, they need a buffer. Moses - and later the prophets, the ancient and medieval rabbis, and today our modern rabbinic authorities - need to 'distill' the laws from their overpowering original. Yes, it's true what Jordan told us; the origin of separating meat comes from one, measly verse about cooking goats in milk. But so what? Why should that be the end of the story, and why should it shock you to know that our rabbis took liberties with the text as our legal code grew and evolved?!

Our laws and practices today do not come straight from God. But however you choose to eat, there should be a Divine spark, a dash
of holiness and ethics, flavoring every bite you consume. And if you disagree with me, have questions or strong opinions, or just want to talk about this some more, please join us on Saturday morning... and after services, we'll eat!


Photos in this blog post:  

1. Image courtesy of Frances Sheehan and Congregation Ohev Shalom


2. CC image courtesy of Sam Felder on Flickr


3. CC image courtesy of Yandle on Flickr  


4. CC image courtesy of David Blaine on Flickr


5. CC image courtesy of MrVJTod on Flickr


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews