Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mishpatim: Trusting an Imperfect Path

What does it mean to trust in a system? When do we accept that, even when we don't see positive outcomes 24/7, we're still on the right path, and setbacks don't mean we need to abandon the entire enterprise? It's a difficult thing to do. It's a question we can ask of the Torah, ourselves, our movement, our government, and God. When do you give up? And when do you "stay the course"? These are questions I would like to consider with you for a paragraph or six.

This week the Torah begins to lay out many of the laws that will come to govern Israelite society. Each law is unique and important, but over the course of the 53 laws in this week's parasha, we start to see a system taking shape. Some of the main principles of this system are: 1) Holiness, because we are made in God's image, and God is holy. 2) Mercy and kindness - taking care of the poor and underprivileged because we were once slaves in Egypt. And 3) Justice is essential, and justice is blind.

Now that last one I find fascinating. What do we really mean when we say that justice is blind. The Torah tells us, "You shall neither side with the mighty to do wrong - you shall not perverse testimony in a dispute so as to pervert it in favor of the mighty - nor shall you show deference to a poor man in his dispute" (Exodus 23:2-3). Most of us agree that we shouldn't favor the wealthy and famous, because we see the unfairness there. And most of us might agree that we shouldn't favor the underprivileged even if they are wrong... but I think that in certain instances we may find ourselves ruling against our better judgment. Compassion kicks in, pity takes over, and we favor the underdog even when we know it's wrong. The Torah is trying to teach us something immeasurably important; sometimes you have to trust the system.

I look at the State of the Union address that was delivered this week, as well as the two responses that followed, and I worry that many of us are very quick to change our minds, to switch horses mid-race. I don't know if one party has the "right" answers, or if there are any completely right answers to be found at all! But constantly questioning decisions, shifting allegiances, second-guessing our leaders; it doesn't always lead to better results. Sometimes we have to trust a system. We give one philosophy and one ideology a significant amount of time to govern, and we see if it works. Right now, I see politicians on all sides undermining one another, and it makes us all question anything and everything remotely connected to politics. How is that helping us, and how is that getting this country back on its feet? The Torah reminds us that we aren't going to love every decision made, and we aren't going to agree with every procedure or outcome. If we're going to buy into a system and a society, that may be a reality we have to accept.

On a similar note, this week I've found myself confronted by an issue in the newspaper headlines. Several members of my congregation have asked me why Conservative and Orthodox Jews don't consider Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Jewish. Our tradition, our history, our leaders, and our system have handed down to us through the generations that our Jewishness is established through our mothers. This isn't meant as judgment, it's simply a pillar of our law code. I think Congresswoman Giffords is an amazing role model. I am honored and proud that she considers herself Jewish, and I am happy that she has found a Reform congregation where she is accepted, where she can be an active and inspiring member, and where she has done a tremendous amount of good. That is one of the beautiful strengths of the Jewish world today; we have different guidelines for different movements, and anyone who wants to be a practicing and involved Jew can find the community that is right for him or her.

All of this does not change, however, the fact that Gabrielle Giffords is not Jewish according to halachic standards; a set of standards that we continue to uphold in the Conservative Movement. I still pray for her speedy recovery, and I still praise her for her bravery, even though I could not give her an aliyah in my synagogue. I may be frustrated that most Orthodox Jews would not consider me a rabbi and would question the Jewishness of many of my congregants, but I am not looking to be validated by someone else. I do not always see the logic in our commandments, and I do not love every Jewish practice (how many of us really love fasting?), yet despite these things, I trust in our system. Perhaps you agree with me, perhaps you don't. But I ask you to consider this question: what do YOU trust in? What system do you buy into? Being a skeptic is easy, tell me instead what you believe in.



Photos in this blog post:
1. CC image courtesy of Rob Hogeslag on Flickr
2. CC image courtesy of Valerie Everett on Flickr
3. CC image courtesy of Joi on Flickr
4. CC image courtesy of tpower1978 on Flickr
5. CC image courtesy of Freedom to Marry on Flickr
6. CC image courtesy of skpy on Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews